The gesture, that highlights the club’s commitment to helping regional cancer patients with desperately needed emergency accommodation, continues a more than decade long association between the Sixers and Sony Foundation.
This year is the club’s 11th year of the ‘Sixers Can, You Can’ Campaign, in support of Sony Foundation’s youth cancer program, You Can.
Player names on the jerseys will be swapped with three words of inspiration chosen by players to honour a youth cancer patient to raise awareness in the community of the battle these young people face, specifically those from regional areas, and to show them that the Sydney Sixers community supports them.
Rising young Sixers fast bowler Stella Campbell said she had chosen three words that she believed resonated with her own pathway as a player and those of the courageous journey undertaken by her cancer survivor, Carly.
“I chose the words ‘Step by Step’ because it stood out to me when I think of the incredibly brave journey Carly and others like her have been through,” Campbell, who spent some time getting to know Carly yesterday, said
“The stories of these You Can Champs put a lot of things into perspective for me and also for the whole Sixers club.”
THE SIXERS CAMPAIGN WITH YOU CAN
- 11th year of the ‘Sixers Can, You Can’ Campaign, with the funds raised providing desperately needed emergency accommodation for regional youth cancer patients. This is the third year for our WBBL team.
- Our squad will wear special jerseys to honour youth cancer patients and survivors during the match on Tuesday against the Heat
- Player names on the jerseys will be swapped with three words of inspiration they selected to honour the patients to raise awareness in the community of the battle these young people face, and to show them that the Sydney Sixers community back them
- We are honoured to play on their behalf on Saturday and every player in our squad will be thinking of that special person they are playing for and be motivated for a win!
CALL TO ACTION
- The jerseys will be signed by the players and up for auction following the match
- We’re asking all our fans to get involved and either bid on the jerseys or donate.
- Every $100 we raise equals one night of accommodation for a regional cancer patient and their family in Sydney at a Quest Apartment.
WHAT ARE WE HOPING THE CAMPAIGN ACHIEVES?
- It’s shocking to hear that regional youth cancer patients face extra challenges when they come to the city for treatment.
- 1/3 of young people with cancer are from regional areas and accommodation while they get treatment in Sydney can cost thousands of dollars.
- Every $100 raised = 1 night of accommodation so we hope to raise some funds and awareness.
FOR MORE INFORMAITON, PLEASE VISIT