For the second year, the Sixers’ WBBL side will play in honour of the Sony Foundation's You Can Champs on Saturday night continuing the club’s commitment to helping regional cancer patients with desperately needed emergency accommodation.
This year is the club’s 10th year of the ‘Sixers Can, You Can’ Campaign. The Sixers squad will wear special jerseys to honour youth cancer patients and survivors during the match against the Renegades.
Player names on the jerseys will be swapped with three words of inspiration provided by a youth cancer patient to raise awareness in the community of the battle these young people face, and to show them that the Sydney Sixers community back them.
Captain Ellyse Perry said hearing the incredible stories from the young cancer patients put a lot of things into perspective for the whole organisation.
“Knowing what some of these incredible people go through and the fights they have with cancer, to be able to partner with them has been as beneficial for us as for the YouCan champs.”
It is a must-win weekend for the Sixers who face the Renegades and Melbourne Stars on Saturday and Sunday at North Sydney Oval.
After a nail-biting four-run win over the Sydney Thunder on Wednesday night, the Sixers sit precariously in fifth position on the WBBL|06 ladder.
The Sixers will need two wins and results to fall their way to secure a position in the all-important top four and qualify for the Finals.
Rising star Hayley Silver-Holmes returns from a foot injury, while World Cup winning allrounder Ash Gardner, who suffered a concussion while fielding last Sunday, has been included with a decision on her availability made in due course.
v. Melbourne Renegades
12 matches – 9 wins, 3 losses (the Sixers won the two team’s first encounter of WBBL|06 by 8 wickets)
v. Melbourne Stars
10 matches – 4 wins, 6 losses (the first scheduled match between the Sixers and Stars for WBBL|06 was washed out)
WBBL Squad v Melbourne Renegades (21/11/20) and v Melbourne Stars (22/11/20):-
- Sarah Aley (shirt number 3)
- Erin Burns (29)
- Stella Campbell (18)
- Lauren Cheatle (5)
- Maddy Darke (7)
- Ashleigh Gardner (6)
- Lisa Griffith (28)
- Alyssa Healy (77)
- Jodie Hicks (14)
- Emma Hughes (22)
- Marizanne Kapp (17)
- Ellyse Perry (C) (8)
- Angela Reakes (30)
- Hayley Silver-Holmes (4)
- Dane Van Niekerk (23)
THE SIXERS CAMPAIGN WITH YOU CAN
- 10th year of the ‘Sixers Can, You Can’ Campaign, with the funds raised providing desperately needed emergency accommodation for regional youth cancer patients. This is the second year for our WBBL team.
- Our squad will wear special jerseys to honour youth cancer patients and survivors during the on Saturday against the Renegades
- Player names on the jerseys will be swapped with three words of inspiration provided by a youth cancer patient to raise awareness in the community of the battle these young people face, and to show them that the Sydney Sixers community back them.
- We are honoured to play on their behalf on Saturday and every player in our squad will be thinking of that special person they are playing for and be motivated for a win!
CALL TO ACTION
- The jerseys will be signed by the players and up for auction following the match for 1 week
- We’re asking all our fans to get involved and either bid on the jerseys or donate.
- Every $100 we raise equals one night of accommodation for a regional cancer patient and their family in Sydney at a Quest Apartment.
WHAT ARE WE HOPING THE CAMPAIGN ACHIEVES?
- It’s shocking to hear that regional youth cancer patients face extra challenges when they come to the city for treatment.
- 1/3 of young people with cancer are from regional areas and accommodation while they get treatment in Sydney can cost thousands of dollars.
- Every $100 raised = 1 night of accommodation so we hope to raise some funds and awareness.